The S&P 500 and Dow Jones indices inched above the previous week’s record highs, extending their positive trend for the 12th time in the last 13 weeks. Meanwhile, the NASDAQ registered a moderate weekly gain but remained 3.7% below its historic peak achieved on November 19, 2021.
Reviewing the U.S. Stock Markets, the Nasdaq Composite, recorded a decent gain of 173 points, reaching a closing value of 15,628 points by the end of the week. Similarly, the S&P 500 index showed a positive trend, adding 68 points to settle at 4,958 points. Meanwhile, DJIA Index experienced a notable hike, gaining by 545 points during the week and concluding at 38,654 points after a week of gain.
In contrast, Russell 3000 Index saw a gain in week performance, with a slight gain of 34 points to reach 2,837 points by the end of the week.
Moving to Russell 2000 Index, demonstrated a notable drop of 16 points, ending the week at 1,962 points.
Beximco Taps Iqbal Ahmed as New Managing Director
Beximco Pharmaceuticals has announced the appointment of Iqbal Ahmed, a current director, as the new managing director for a five-year term.
hmed, who has been serving on the board since 1985, will assume the role pending approval from shareholders at the upcoming annual general meeting. The move follows the resignation of the company’s former managing director, Nazmul Hasan, who stepped down from the position after assuming a ministerial role in the government.
6 More Companies to Enter ‘Z’ Categories Starting Tomorrow
Starting tomorrow, Monday (March 4), shares of six companies will be transferred to the ‘Z’ category on the Dhaka Stock Exchange, as directed by the Bangladesh Securities and Exchange Commission (BSEC).
The decision stems from various factors, including the failure to host the annual general meeting, production shutdown for over six months, and many other reasons.
However DSE mentioned two companies from the textile sector, two from the pharmaceutical and chemical sector, one from the financial sector, and one from the insurance sector. The affected companies are Prime Textile, Prime Finance, New Line Clothings, Far East Islamic Life Insurance, AFC Agro Biotech, and Active Fine Chemicals Limited. The ‘Z’ category is typically assigned for companies facing financial troubles or regulatory issues, signaling caution for investors.
Grameenphone’s Stock Plunge 8.72% after Lifting Floor
The stock of Grameenphone (GP) experienced a significant decline of 8.72% immediately after the removal of the floor price restriction.
According to the directive of the Bangladesh Securities and Exchange Commission (BSEC), the floor price restriction on shares of Grameenphone Limited is set to be lifted from today, March 3rd.
Yesterday, GP shares were traded at Tk286.60 each. However, Today, experiencing a drop of Tk25.00 from the opening price at the Dhaka Stock Exchange (DSE). The session witnessed the exchange of a total of 7 lakh 43 thousand 710 shares, amounting to Tk19 crore 46 lakh.
This downturn in GP stocks had a notable impact, resulting in a decline in the key index DSEX, settling at 6,215 by the end of the day trading. The Bangladesh Securities and Exchange Commission (BSEC) had earlier issued a directive to withdraw the floor price restriction on Grameenphone stocks on 3 March. The floor price is the lowest set by the securities regulator, determining the minimum price at which a stock can be traded. In January, the BSEC lifted the floor price for most stocks, 18 months after its introduction.
- BGB Equipped for Transnational Crime Combat, Says PM Sheikh Hasina
- Feb Records $2.16bn Highest Remittance Inflow in 8 Months
- Beximco Taps Iqbal Ahmed as New Managing Director
- Foreign Minister to Address OIC Meeting on Israeli Aggression
- BERC Announces Slight Increase in LPG Rates
- 6 More Companies to Enter ‘Z’ Categories Starting Tomorrow
- Grameenphone’s Stock Plunge 8.72% after Lifting Floor
- Bearish Market Pull 242 Companies, Raises Concerns for Investors
- PM Sheikh Hasina Urges Action Against Hoarders Ahead of Ramadan
- British American Tobaccos’ Floor Price Restriction to be Lifted on March 4th
- Cricket Star Shakib Al Hasan Enters Footwear Business
- BGMEA President, Magic Officials Strategize to Enhance Bangladesh’s Apparel Presence in US
- LafargeHolcim reveals its Dividends
- Two-Day Zakat Fair 2024 Begins in Dhaka
- Salman F Rahman Inaugurates BYD’s First Showroom, Supports Govt’s EV Vision